Recipes

Chicken & Broccoli Bake

img_12861
Ingredients

• 300g of Broccoli
  • 400g Chicken Breasts
  • 300g of Mushrooms
  • 1 Cup of Coconut Milk (250ml)
  • 1 Cup of Chicken Stock (250ml)
  • 1 Teaspoon of Mustard Powder
  • 100g of Hazelnuts
  • Coconut Oil
  • Salt & Pepper
  • Optional: Cheese

This Chicken & Broccoli Bake is the ultimate comfort food. When I created this recipe, I had been wanting to come up with a healthier version of this classic for ages and kept struggling with how I’d get it creamy enough and crispy enough. Finally, after a little brainstorming with my boyfriend, I came up with this!  It’s the perfect dinner and makes great leftovers, it actually warms the soul and is surprisingly quick and easy to make! If you want to add cheese, sprinkle it on with the topping.

img_1292

Start by washing and chopping the mushrooms.

Heat some coconut oil in a saucepan on medium heat and add the mushrooms. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook until they start to grey and soften- about 5 minutes.

Pour in the coconut milk and chicken stock and stir. Then take off the heat and sprinkle in the mustard powder. Use a handheld food processor to blitz it until as smooth as possible (or just pour it into your food processor). Then set it aside.

Heat some coconut oil in a pan while you chop the chicken and the broccoli into little pieces. Add them to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes until the broccoli is bright green and the chicken is almost fully cooked.

While they’re cooking add the hazelnuts to your food processor and blitz until you have a breadcrumb like consistency. Then add in 1/2 a tablespoon of melted coconut oil and some salt and pepper and blitz again until you have a fluffy crumbly mixture.

IMG_1283

Add the chicken and broccoli to your casserole dish.

IMG_1282

Then pour the mushroom sauce over it and mix it so its evenly mixed in.

IMG_1281

If you’re adding cheese then scatter the cheese evenly over the top and then sprinkle generously with the ground hazelnuts, you’ll probably have a bit left over!

IMG_1285

Pop it in the oven at 180’C for about 40 minutes.

IMG_1284

Take out and serve! To reheat leftovers, just pop it back in the oven until heated through.

IMG_1289

49 Comments to Chicken & Broccoli Bake

1. Does the coconut milk make it sweeter in taste? I follow a low-carb, high-fat diet, but keto rather than paleo. I would use cream cheese rather than coconut milk. Thanks for the recipe idea :)

2. Colleen Chao says:

This was FABULOUS, and my husband can’t stop raving! Thank you so so much!!!

3. Colette says:

Hi, I can’t eat mushrooms…is there anything I could do to replace them in this recipe or would it work without them? Thanks : )

• Indy Power says:

The mushrooms are quite important in this recipe :( they’re what makes the sauce thick, you could try adding arrowroot flour or tapioca flour to the coconut milk/stock mixture to thicken it but I haven’t tried it in this recipe!

4. Bear says:

This is in the oven right now :) I am so excited 😀 I made 2 small ones too for our lunches tomorrow :)

5. S Fitzgibbon says:

Hi, am making this tomorrow & really looking forward to it, but wondering how much in mls is a cup? Thanks…

6. Nicole says:

Can unsweetened almond milk be used instead of coconut milk.

7. David Madden says:

Is it absolutely necessary to use the food processor for the sauce? I don’t have one so just wondering the best way around this.

8. aoifecoyne01 says:

Made this yesterday and loved it, thank you! Also loving your other recipes, the protein balls, overnight porridge oats…all YUM :)

9. Alison says:

Just made this and it was delicious :) one of my fav dinner so was delighted to find your recipe! I had no mustard powder so used curry powder instead and it gave it a nice flavour.

10. Michelle says:

Could u use almond milk instead of coconut ? Thanks love your website

11. Sammy says:

Do you use the alpro coconut milk or coconut milk from a tin? Full fat or lighter? Making this for tea tonight! Thanks!

12. Lisa says:

Can I use light coconut milk for this? And sprinkle ground almonds on the top instead of hazelnuts?

• Indy Power says:

Yes to both! Hazelnuts have a better texture for this particular recipe but it’s still delicious with almonds. I wouldn’t buy the almonds ground for this one, use whole ones and pulse them in a food processor so their nice and crumbly rather than fine!

13. Nuala says:

Hi. Looks lovely. Is it possible to freeze?
    Thanks

14. My mum used to make chicken and broccoli bake the whole time when we were kids, it was such a delish dinner, these days I stick to a gluten free diet so can’t wait to try this version as its right up my street!

15. Amy B says:

Hey, I was just wondering if the recipe calls for coconut milk as in the thick, creamy stuff that you put in curries and comes in a tin, or the stuff that you get in cartons that is more like almond milk? Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question! x

16. Pamela says:

Have made this up for dinner tonight…can’t wait to try it. the sauce tastes amazing!!! Thank you : )

17. Niamh says:

Hey, can’t wait to try this recipe! Any suggestions of a replacement for the hazelnuts for someone allergic to nuts? I was thinking of mixed seeds instead but would love some advise :)

• Indy Power says:

It tastes really good with a mixture of seeds and oats, which would be perfect for someone allergic to nuts! Enjoy x

18. Donna porter says:

What could I use instead of nuts? My son is allergic. Maybe acombo of breadcrumbs and oats?

19. Ruth noble says:

Just checking, is that coconut milk from a carton (in milk substitute) or from a tin. Remember making this last year and it was great, just wanted that clarification, ta, Ruth

20. Ruth noble says:

Apologies only just read the comments, my question answered

21. Rachel says:

This looks divine! I’m doing Whole 30 (currently on day 21!) and can’t find sugar free stock anywhere and don’t have time to make my own – do you have any recommendations for a replacement for this recipe? I’m thinking of adding some bacon and onion to help with flavour, but do you think some curry powder (in addition to the mustard powder) would also work? Also do you need to skin the hazelnuts before blitzing? Thanks :)!

• Indy Power says:

Two great ideas, I would do both! You don’t need to remove the hazelnut skins, they should be fine as they are. Hope it turns out delicious!x

22. Jane McCann says:

Just wondering would it be possible to use fish instead of chicken and if so what fish would you reccomend. Thanks

23. Niamh Bronk says:

Fantastic recipe I put cooked pasta in before putting it in the oven. My 3 and 1 year olds devoured it.

24. Rachel says:

Hey Indy, the coconut milk that you use – is it the coconut milk from the can or the one that’s in a carton, I’m not sure what the differences are. thanks a mill

• Indy Power says:

Hi Rachel, for all my recipes is full fat tinned coconut milk. The cartons usually have a much lower coconut percentage and they tend to be a blend of rice milk a lot of the time. Hope you love it!x

25. Grainne says:

Made this last night for dinner, eating it today for lunch at work, its absolutely delicious. Love it, thanks. Trying the chocolate chip cookies tonight. Loving the recipes.

26. Anna-Rose says:

This looks amazing, will make it this wk. I’ve two children. My oldest (4) doesn’t like the texture of mushrooms so it shouldn’t be a problem here where they are blended into a sauce. Do you serve a side with this? Rice? Baby potatoes? I’d be starving without a but of carbohydrate on the side!

27. Shona says:

OH MY GAWD! this is so tasty and comforting!!! highly recommend!!

28. Lynne says:

On average do you know how many calories is in a serving?

29. Elaine says:

I am making this for dinner this evening but forgot the mustard powder.can I substitute with a spoon of ordinary musers?

30. Colette Harte says:

Omg, this is class! So so tasty. You really nailed this one Indy. :-) Thank you.